2nd Annual SmallSat & Space Access Summit: June 5-6, 2019 | Alexandria, VA
DSI, in partnership with the SmallSat Alliance, will host a comprehensive two-day summit on how the application of small satellites is transforming the space domain. Together with government, industry and commercial partners this event will present and highlight the technology currently underway and the challenges that exist in enhancing space access and employing SmallSats to ensure space superiority.
The 2nd annual SmallSat & Space Access Summit encourages members of the DoD, Intelligence Community, military services, and critical organizations to come together to discuss solutions and techniques to exploit the space domain.
2019 Confirmed Speakers:
Shawn Barnes, SES
Deputy Principal Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force for Space
Dr. Fred Kennedy
Space Development Agency
Dr. Karen St. Germain
Director, Systems Architecture and Advanced Planning
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Deputy Director for Counterproliferation
National Geospatial Information Agency
Brig Gen Wayne Monteith, USAF (Ret)
Associate Administrator, Commercial Space Transportation
Division Chief, Satellite Division, International Bureau
Program Manager, Small Spacecraft Technology Program
Why You Should Attend This Summit:
Historically, satellites are massive in size and expensive to both develop and launch. In the past, this has limited our flexibility and access to space. In response, the US has turned its attention toward the advancement of small satellites, which are proven to often be more cost-effective and pragmatic. The advantages of small satellites are not just their drastically reduced cost, but also their ease of launch, mission flexibility and ability to strengthen our overall capability in the space domain.
Defense Strategies Institute’s 2nd Annual SmallSat and Space Access Summit will address the development of SmallSat technologies and the challenges of achieving successful vehicle launches. Speakers will address the policy, acquisition, and development of space capabilities aimed at ensuring US superiority in the space domain. Furthermore, this event will highlight the role of the space industry and commercial sector in furthering reliable space access and innovative satellite technologies.
Speakers from across the DoD, IC, Federal Agencies and commercial sector will share their insights into the future direction of SmallSat applications and the challenges of fielding SmallSat constellations. Attendees will have the opportunity to engage with senior leaders about the advancements in small and cubesat capabilities and the role industry plays in progressing the success of small vehicle launches.
DSI’s team specializes in the extensive research and development of our Summits’ content and focus areas. We seek to bring together the respected leaders from the DoD and IC, leading research centers, and industry technology providers. Our non-partisan approach allows us to reach across all services and organizations to bring together a truly holistic group of decision makers and solution providers.
*Symposium is CLOSED TO PRESS / NO RECORDINGS*
Topics to be Covered at the 2019 Summit:
– Assessing the advantages of employing small satellite capabilities to meet operational requirements
– Leveraging small satellites to gather data and enable the effective monitoring of emerging crises
– Operating micro-satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO)
– Examining the limitations and constraints of the payload sizes, power, and interface specifications of current small spacecrafts
– Utilizing commercial space technology to successfully deliver military requirements
– Highlighting how industry can provide reliable and affordable access to space
– Improving launch and landing capabilities to ensure mission success and safety
– Addressing the implications of the growing small satellite market for the space launch industry
At our Symposium You Have the Ability To:
Gain Education & Insight: Walk away with knowledge gained from our senior level speakers on some of the complex challenges facing the US Space domain.
Build Partnerships: The agenda is designed to allow for ample networking opportunities and the ability to engage in constructive dialogue among all in attendance
Influence: Help foster ideas! Share your own insight and knowledge during our interactive sessions. All attendees are given the opportunity to address our speaker faculty with their questions, comments or ideas.
Exhibit and Sponsorship Information:
The 2019 SmallSat & Space Access Summit provides opportunities including exhibit space, round table discussions, product demonstrations, and networking receptions.
Operating Guidance for Government Attendees:
– DSI’s summit directly supports DoD and IC priorities by providing a conduit for officials to efficiently reach audiences outside of their respective offices that directly impact their department’s mission success, at no charge to the government, and in an efficient expenditure of time.
– DSI’s summit will provide a forum to address and improve internal and external initiatives, meet with and hear from partner organizations, disseminate vital capability requirements to industry, increase visibility within the larger community, and generally support their mission.
– This summit is open and complimentary to all DoD and Federal employees and is considered an educational and training forum.